An arm-chair techie confronts Social Media, associated technology (aka Web 2.0), and the implications to community, identity, and privacy.

Thursday, July 16, 2009

A departure from Web 2.0

Yesterday I recklessly abandoned the use of Web 2.0 tools. Believe it or not, I actually met with a human being in person and had an excellent conversation without the use of a computer or any other technology - although we did refer to some notes on a white board, a printed copy of an email, and a large (paper) map of the FSU campus. GASP!!! Even more astonishing was that we had meaningful conversation that involved an exchange of ideas, and shared understanding and appreciation of each others views.

Further, as we conversed we each contributed to the shaping of the others understanding of the topics at hand. So rather than one of us passively absorbing the knowledge of the other, our exchange of knowledge put us both in the roles of produser - no publisher, team coordinator, or other authority was needed.

Okay, I'll turn the sarcasm off!

But seriously, I realized after my very enjoyable visit that Bruns' incessant babbling about produsers is just old fashioned nonsense. Now before anyone feels the urge to pile on or defend Mr. Bruns, please understand that I am not personally attacking our author. As I continue to read his work at a glacial pace, I appreciate having this as our text. It is not enjoyable, but I find it entirely appropriate for our study - although probably not for the reasons he intended when writing it. (However, I suspect this was a factor when Vanessa chose the text.)

I have been a serious student of leadership since I began teaching topics of leadership in the middle 90s. I no longer teach those topics, but the experience of having done so has made me very observant of leadership behaviors (the term "reticular activation" comes to mind...). Someone once said Boss Watching is the number one observer sport in the U.S. When we watch our bosses we not only learn from their good examples, but also from their bad examples. I would go further to state that even bad leaders exhibit positive traits at times. This is how I view Bruns' book. There are some very good illustrations and examples buried in the muck of his writing - enough to keep me slogging along. But more than that, I have realized that for all the hoopla surrounding Web 2.0 hype the underlying principles are old ideas with a fresh coat of paint. What is new is their force in our economy.

Just as my conversation yesterday illustrates, the collaborative process and concepts like "synergy" have been around for a very long time - long before they became buzzwords or were wrapped up in complex ideas about wielding virtual tools to shape our world.

For that realization, if nothing more, I thank Mr. Bruns.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers