An arm-chair techie confronts Social Media, associated technology (aka Web 2.0), and the implications to community, identity, and privacy.

Sunday, July 5, 2009

Confessions of a Tab browser

I'm a tab browser. As I weed my way through the web, I filter interesting things I want to read closer by sending them to a new tab. I was doing this Sunday evening as I was frantically trying to catch up on all the work you all have been posting today. I had a dozen tabs open, including my Week One Wrap when my browser crashed.

So, I'm off to see if my update autosaved. And then I will try to determine what tabs were previously so compelling.

*sigh*

5 comments:

  1. I love autosave! It just made a little lemonade out of the bushel of lemons that were just dumped on me.

    (Is this week over yet?)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Kent,

    I think the week is drawing to a close ... and then, we start again!

    I didn't know autosave saved TABS too! Just FYI, Blackboard won't save posts.

    Grrrr.

    --Barbara

    ReplyDelete
  3. Barbara,

    Sorry for the confusion, but the only thing autosave did for me was save my blog post. I had to go back and re-open all my tabs manually. My browser used to re-open my tabs after a crash, but not anymore. I'll have to investigate further.

    The autosave feature was one of the reasons I originally migrated from Yahoo mail to Google mail. I will autosave was ubiquitous on the web.

    Kent

    ReplyDelete
  4. what browser do you use?

    firefox does re-open all tabs.

    given blackboard's secure nature, you will be signed out of that and be given a user login error if you try to sign in on the page displayed. Just use the links on the top to get to wherever you wanted to be...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yeah, I use Firefox as my secondary browser (IE only for OWA and dire emergencies). I use Safari because of the bookmark sync with my iPhone. That and I generally like the browser. Needless to say, I was in Safari when the disaster occurred.

    ReplyDelete

Followers