An arm-chair techie confronts Social Media, associated technology (aka Web 2.0), and the implications to community, identity, and privacy.

Friday, August 7, 2009

Prompt: The Final (week 6)

Reflect on what you have learned in the class and how you will use it professionally as both a lifelong learner and an instructional systems professional (or whatever field you’re in).

I've touched on this in a few different posts, but in the interest of easing the burden of our evaluators, I will specifically address the topic here. ;-)

Coming to FSU for the IS program was a bittersweet choice for me. In my career field I get to drive boats and have very much enjoyed having my "office" on the water. The decision to enter the IS program means that I will be out of my primary career field for the next 4-5 years (at which time I will be eligible to retire). At the same time, I am entering a dynamic and exciting field that I have had some past exposure to. Make no mistake, I do not in the least regret the decision - in fact I am extremely excited about it; it is more like nostalgia.

At the completion of this degree program I will be assigned to a CG training command where I will get to put my new education and skills to work as a full-time performance technologist. How cool is that? The constraints of a government network are considerable, yet the Coast Guard is moving forward with Web 2.0. It will be very interesting to see how far this has progressed when I plug back into the service network next year. I anticipate being able to use blogs and wikis on our internal network and hope to combine several resources into a community of practice. I'm not quite sure what the next few years will hold in terms of professional development outside of my daily work, but am interested in learning more about the ISPI CPT program and networking via conferences.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers