An arm-chair techie confronts Social Media, associated technology (aka Web 2.0), and the implications to community, identity, and privacy.

Sunday, August 2, 2009

Issues such as authorship, copyright and open access

How do issues such as authorship, copyright and open access impact your desire, ability and willingness to engage in produsage, both personally and professionally?

I think these are issues that we will be wrestling with for some time to come. I believe that technological advances have provided opportunities that our current legal system will not be able adequately adapt to for many years - if ever! Likewise, our culture is being reshaped more quickly than ever before. Like the legal system, our ability to reflect and consider has been wiped out by the technological opportunities. I know it is cliche, but we are doing the old Ready-Fire-Aim routine (rather than Ready-Aim-Fire).

I am not a P2P guy; I don't download movies, music, or cracked warez. During this course, though, I have repeatedly been tripped up by the ease of using images from the web. If I grab an image for use at home, is that okay? Many would say it is. But if I grab an image for a class project - even if there is no profit to be made - is that okay? And where would one start in obtaining rights to use an image as a private individual? I suspect the majority of the minor violations occur as a result of ignorance, apathy, or confusion rather than actual theft.

1 comment:

  1. Kent, I would suspect that if all the offenders were caught and fines were collected, we wouldn't have a national budget crisis! And I agree with you, that in most cases people don't realize what they are doing. It'll be interesting to see how this shakes out in the years to come as the internet becomes more and more sprawled.

    ReplyDelete

Followers